Master's Degree Programs
M.S. in Preschool Education
Available start dates for the program: See Academic Calendar
Program language: English or Spanish
Available Schedules: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 7:00PM-10:00PM, Saturday from 7:00AM-7:30PM
Program duration: 2 years for Full-Time students and 3 years for Part-Time students
Educational offering are delivered through distance education(hybrid)
M.S. in Preschool Education
The Master’s degree in Preschool Education is based on research and teaching as the center of the curriculum, and includes both the pedagogical as well as the developmental aspects of early childhood education. Its purpose is to educate a professional who has the knowledge and the commitment to provide leadership in the field of pre-school education through a career of teaching, educational administration, social work, or research.
The evolutionary development of a young child is a continuous process – a chain of events that results from the interaction between the child, his environment, and the quality of stimuli that is offered. The Master’s degree program is based upon the notion that child development is an interactive, multidimensional and synergetic process.
The JMVU Master’s degree program in Preschool Education includes significant study on the physical development of the child, based upon genetic qualities, as well as the child’s nutritional status and health. The program also includes emphasis on the emotional aspect of child development, from infant-maternal bonding to the development of trust. Early relationships between children and adults, as well as the beginnings of interactive play are key components in the emotional well-being of young children.
The Master’s degree program will utilize the most timely and valid research studies to encourage students to embrace innovative approaches to the education and development of young children. Our graduates will demonstrate responsible, creative and innovative solutions for creating environments that nurture the physical, emotional and intellectual growth of young children. In so doing, they will effectively utilize or develop curriculum that is firmly grounded in scientific and technological advances.
1. Design high-quality learning environments using their knowledge of typical and atypical child development from 0 to 6 years
2. Evaluate curriculum design and curricular decisions to meet the needs of diverse children and their families.
3. Analyze diverse assessment and evaluation strategies, tools, and procedures to improve outcomes for young children, families, and programs
4. Utilize effective communication and collaboration strategies to positively influence partnerships with community agencies and families with young children
5. Design a research project based on relevant theory and research methodology to promote educational transformation in the field of early childhood education.
This program is offered exclusively in English or in Spanish.