Available start dates for the program: Monthly (See Academic Calendar)
Program language: English or Spanish
Available Schedules: daily Monday thru Thursday from 7:00PM-10:00PM or daily 9AM - 12PM.
Educational offering are delivered through distance education(hybrid)
This program offers a sequence of courses that provides coherent and rigorous content aligned with challenging academic standards and relevant technical knowledge and skills needed to prepare for further education and careers in the Health Science career cluster; provides technical skill proficiency, and includes competency-based applied learning that contributes to the academic knowledge, higher-order reasoning and problem-solving skills, work attitudes, general employability skills, technical skills, and occupation-specific skills, and knowledge of all aspects of Health Science career cluster. In this program the student will learn how to assist physicians and nurses in the clinic and office settings, they will learn back office skills with some additional front office skills. The student will be instructed to take Vital Signs, perform EKG, Phlebotomy, Urinalysis, Medication Administration, and facilitate physician/patient rapport. The student will also be introduced to Administrative Skills such as Medical Coding (includes ICD-10 & CPT-4 and Electronic Patient Record Keeping) and will become knowledgeable in medical ethics. The program prepares the student to take national certification exam. Upon completion of the program the student will receive a Diploma with 38.5 credit hours.
1. Identify and describe body organization, structures, functions, and diseases.
2. Perform administrative and clinical skills required for the medical assistant.
3. Apply medical terminology when communicating professionally in a health care setting with patients, physicians, and all members of the health care team.
4. Calculate basic mathematical problems relate to healthcare.
5. Apply computer literacy skills to organize and analyze information.
6. Develop and formulate action plans for emergencies that affect the community.
7. Use an ethical and professional behavior in the workplace.
8. Comply with state, federal, and local regulations and laws that apply to health care.
9. Communicate effectively in oral and writing with diverse populations.
This program is offered exclusively in English or in Spanish.