top of page

Transfer of Credit Policies

Students seeking to transfer credits earned at another postsecondary institution to JMVU, or from JMVU to other institutions should note that the transferability of credits is at the discretion of the accepting institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice. The policy of the University regarding the evaluation of course content from other universities to determine its equivalency with a course offered at JMVU is that approximately three-fourths of the course content must match the content of the course offered at JMVU if it is to be accepted for transfer. For evaluation purposes, students must provide a copy of the course description for the course to be evaluated and the school catalog for the time period during which the course was taken. Evaluations are handled on a case-by-case basis. Students must complete a minimum of 25% of a program at the University.


JMVU is a member of the Statewide Course Numbering System (SCNS). This course numbering system facilitates the transfer of credit for equivalent courses among the state's colleges and universities.


Decisions regarding transferability of credits are not necessarily made prior to enrollment. Only students who have been fully admitted to JMVU may submit their transcripts and course descriptions for evaluation. Students are encouraged to submit official transcripts as soon as possible. JMVU recognizes credits from accredited higher education degree granting institutions, and will not transfer credits for courses below college level. Evaluation of transferability of credits is performed by the Registration Department. On occasion, the Registration Department may seek the advice of an expert or faculty member in a specific discipline to perform course evaluations.


Courses may be denied for transfer under the discretion of the Registration Department depending on the date courses were originally taken. A grade of C- or higher is required to receive transfer credit in the undergraduate programs. However, any credits earned (passing grade) at an institution within the Florida Statewide Course Numbering System (SCNS) will be accepted. A grade of B- or higher is required for graduate level course transfer. However, grades for classes that were transferred from another university are shown as “T” on the transcript and will not be used in computing the student’s grade point average. Associate degree students may not transfer more than 30 credits and Bachelor degree students may not transfer more than 60 credits. Master degree students, no more than 9 credits will be transferred; and other documentation may be requested, such as sample of coursework.


Undergraduates may submit a request to apply an Associate’s Degree to a Bachelor at JMVU. However, the University reserves the right to request a student to take additional courses to establish equivalency with JMVU’s programs. International degrees and transcripts must be officially translated & evaluated by a member of NACES. Official translation of course content may also be required.


JMVU may consider giving credit for AP (Advanced Placement), CLEP (College Level Examination Program) and SAT Subject Tests to meet general education requirements. The minimum scores required for consideration using these examinations are: 50 for CLEP exams; 3 for AP exams, and a score of 500 or higher in SAT subject tests. No more than 30 credits will be granted.

bottom of page